STEP - What is it?
Established in 1989 and specifically designed by contractors for contractors, ABC's Safety Training and Evaluation Process (STEP) is a service that helps you build and expand your safety program. With the exception of the more advanced Diamond and Platinum levels, it is complimentary for ABC SoCal members. Program participants often see the following returns on their STEP investment: increased productivity with fewer on-the-job injuries, greater OSHA compliance, competitive market advantage and lower worker's compensation costs.
Reasons to Participate:
- Your responses are strictly confidential.
- STEP provides a systematic formula for developing and analyzing safety and loss prevention programs. It is designed to benefit both large and small businesses.
- The STEP Key Component system gives you a 20-point guide to starting, updating or auditing a company-wide safety program.
- The STEP process incorporates OSHA required safety data and self-assessments to comprehensively report on all aspects of your safety program.
- STEP data shows that participating companies beat BLS averages in a number of areas, leading to benefits during the bidding and insurance negotiation processes.
- Outstanding safety programs can receive chapter and national recognition, National Safety Excellence and Accredited Quality Contractor awards.
SAVE TIME--APPLY FOR STEP ONLINE!
Get instantaneous results using the new, easier to use application--now you can save your application and come back later to complete! Click here to begin your 2020 STEP journey
Just getting started with your safety training program?
Starting a safety program can be a daunting task, ABC has created FirstSTEP--a building block for those companies who are looking to establish a comprehensive safety training program. If you are a smaller contractor that wants to “start somewhere” with safety, then this tool was developed for you! You will notice that this road map gives you some very basic components to consider as you work on constructing the foundation of your safety program. For best results, we encourage you to concentrate on building the program around your company’s culture, the way YOU do business and the way your employees approach their jobs. While these components may be universal, there is no single right way to integrate them into an organization. The only true “right way” is your way. So make use of resources available, but take the little extra time needed to make them truly yours.
Congratulations on taking this "FirstSTEP"! The progress you make by participating in this program will bring returns many times over for your business and your employees alike. Some returns will come quickly, such as reduced injuries, improved productivity and stronger OSHA compliance. Other returns will continue to get better with time, such as gaining a competitive advantage in your market, lowering workers comp costs, preventing costly OSHA fines and pre-qualifying for profitable work as you progress into the full STEP program.
Download the FirstSTEP evaluation form today!
Qualification & Application Process:
Each STEP level has a different set of qualification criteria. Applications are accepted throughout the year. ABC SoCal's deadline to be included in the awards ceremony is the end of July.